Tuesday 4 December 2012

Bidding Wars

 
   So I've found myself a little hobby.  A few months ago someone invited me to a Facebook group called "bidding wars" and next thing I knew I was hooked.  Some may say it's an addiction but I disagree.  I do it socially....I can quit anytime.  That's what I tell myself and quite honestly that's what I believe.
 What is bidding wars?  Basically you post an object of mild interest for a ridiculously low price and let other addicted Facebookers fight over it.  Sometimes you get a killer deal on objects, make a little extra Christmas cash or pay $5 to take someone's trash to the Salvation army (or your consignment store of choice).  That's the thrill-will EUC (Excellent Used Condition) actually be a valid description or as realistic as a character you would find in a Dr. Seuss book-Cat's don't wear hats, everyone knows they wear boots! 
     So far I've made $100bucks selling $400 worth of objects.  Since Dave is currently laid off, I made more money than him this week.  I am the breadwinner!  Kids, this week we eat meat and not from a can at that!
So why is it addicting? 
  Part of the problem is the lure of getting a good bargain.  A lot of people are selling mainly because they want it out of their house so they will post cheap.  Sometimes you score a brand new snowsuit for $6, other times you get suckered.  A brand name dress for a starting bid of $1?  Missing a strap? no problem.  Rip down the back? minor inconvenience.  Infant poo splattered over the front?  It's a buck! it usually retails for $200!!  It's so hard to say no.  Often times I find myself bidding just because I see that it is only $1 and what could possibly go wrong? 
    Sometimes things don't stay cheap for long.  When the bidding gets hot and the prices skyrocket and all of a sudden it.is.on.  Now you realize that you cannot live another second without having an electric nail trimmer in your life.  You have been living like a caveman, a recession housewife without one, and everyone else is bidding so it must be a great bargain for the best product in the history of this planet.  Once again it is so hard to say no and all of a sudden you realize that you are about to draw blood over a "hang in there kitty" poster which evidently is now going to cost you 600 bucks.
    Now for the selling.  Equally as addicting.  It is way less aggravating then Craig's list and trust us, we need the extra cash. Dave told me his dream house was for sale and if I choked on my food and died, he could collect my insurance money and be able to buy it. Luckily living with Lily has taught me to sleep with one eye open. Regardless I'm going to make sure to cut my food up extra small until said house sells...  

   I often find myself pacing around the house mumbling "what else can I sell".  Or more importantly-what else can I sell that I won't get busted for selling.  You can tell Dave is getting a bit nervous.  As I touched in other entries, I think he's scared I am going to sell anything that isn't bolted down.  I am just waiting for the day I catch him super gluing things to the floor.













No comments:

Post a Comment