Saturday 11 February 2012

Lily's Birthday Party

 
     So I survived my first attempt at a birthday party.  Everything was amazing.  I'd like to take all the credit for it, but both my sister and mom follow my blog so I can't.  Seriously they worked their butts off.  Team Lily pulled off a good event this year-yes, Lily has a team of handlers to cater to her-Mom, Kirstin, Dad I'm so getting you teamster jerseys and those head band walkie talkies that the staff at Old Navy use.  I'm so thankful for my kickass family even if my mom stopped answering my many neurotic phone calls before the party.  Everything turned out despite all the worse case scenarios that played in my head last night (yes I should go get that checked).  My favorite worse case scenario involved Dave accidentally backing our big ass truck into house, what can I say? after midnight my head turns into a pumpkin.  Even my husband was able to get off work early and make it-which was good because if he missed it there would be blood and a hiatus from my blog as I finished my prison sentence.
      There were a few pregame hiccups.  Mostly I forgot that I had to make myself somewhat presentable.  I just assumed that I could wear my yoga pants (who am I kidding? I'm not from Vancouver, by yoga pants I mean sweat pants that say "Rugby" on the butt but when I walk looks like it says "Ruby"). I frantically tore apart my closet looking for something that would be a little more princessy...wait a minute, the paper bag princess was a princess-never mind, the hippies would probably have an issue with me using 20 paper bags to cover my shame.  Back to my closet:  the only items I were able to find were:
  • A black long dress with slits up the sides and built in hot pants-vaguely inappropriate for a kids party.
  • A bandage dress that made me look like a can of Pillsbury crescent roll dough after it has been cracked-have fun getting that image out of your head.
  • The dress I wore to Elijah's funeral-not the sort of dress you want to recycle unless I have another son. I can wear it to his wedding.
Don't ask me why these items still remain in my closet.  I also found a pair of size 22 zebra print pants that fit me for two days when I was 17, I guess I'm under the illusion that one day I'll be able to squeeze myself them again.  I went for the bandage dress and in the mirror it looked okay.  After reviewing some of the pictures I realize that it highlights my "ass-plateau" perfectly (An ass-plateau as defined by Jen Lancaster's book is a roll of fat that sits on top of your butt). 
    I had a great time during the party even thought my hosting skill need a lot of improvement.  Luckily as always my mom was able to delegate.  If she wasn't there I think we would still be watching Lily open presents right now.  We also tried getting her to smash her cake but she wouldn't.  I guess she's a lady, she mostly just pointed at it which I don't understand-the kid loves to smash things.  I think everyone had a good time-if you didn't and you're reading this please don't tell me.  Lily was spoiled beyond belief, and I'm so grateful for everyone. 
  I ate myself silly with all the treats available.  I discovered the wonderful treat cake pops.  I vaguely knew they existed but I never bought them because they were $3 at Starbucks and that seemed a bit pricey for a glorified Tim Bit.  From now on, I would like all my food served to me on sticks and dipped in chocolate.  Those things are good!
  I had a lot of issue with pregnancy brain.  Maybe it was the sugar from the cake pops but mentally I was having trouble keeping it together.  Like remembering names or how to load a new memory card into our camera.  Anything technology-wise was lost on me.  My proudest moment was when I introduced my cousin to his sister and asked if they had met.  Even afterwards I was trying to figure out how to load pictures on Facebook but with little luck.  And tagging? I started tagging pictures of me as my sister.

I'm going to pass out from exhaustion or sugar crash any moment so I'm going to post a few photos and then go to bed.
PS-I'm naturally going to try out all of Lily's toys to make sure they are appropriate, yes that's my reasoning...what? Half the fun of having kids getting to play with toys again without looking weird....
Enjoy:
Birthday Girl

The food

The baby pit


Us enjoying tea
Group Shot of the baby pit


No comments:

Post a Comment